Dominion Intrigue - My first review of my first boardgame

Forum rules
Va rugam sa postati in aceasta sectiune doar articole tip review sau articole cu impresiile voastre despre un anumit joc (articole ce pot fi apoi bineinteles discutate in cadrul topicurilor respective).

Pentru discutiile generale necentrate pe ideea de "review" va invitam in forumul Discutii generale.
Rautz

Dominion Intrigue - My first review of my first boardgame

16 Apr 2011, 19:29

E un mic concurs pe BGG si cum tot voiam sa scriu un review am ales sa-l postez acolo, in engleza.
Daca e vreo problema ca e in engleza se poate sterge de aici, dar cum jocul foloseste intens engleza si e destinat jucatorilor care stiu engleza, sper sa nu fie o problema daca-l postez si aici

Review-ul original se afla aici

Calitatea pozelor nu e tocmai superba, am un aparat destul de slab si lumina proasta in casa dar m-am descurcat cu ce am avut
Sunt deschis la orice critici, si poate pe viitor voi mai scrie reviewuri, in romana

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970349

Introduction

2 months ago I found BGG.
I was looking for a quick to play economic game, that had a bit amount of luck but that had a lot of strategies, with lots of replayability and that plays well in both 2 and 4 players.
I've looked at dozens of games but this was my first pick and I don't regret it one bit.

Dominion Intrigue is an expansion for Dominion but it's also a standalone game.

Components

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970123

There's a rulebook and 500 playing cards
I was really impressed by the insert, it's nice and functional, keeps the cards nicely laid out for a very quick setup.
This is a game that it's quick to setup but takes longer to put the cards back in the box

The artwork on the cards is very beautiful

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970129

Here's a breakdown of the 500 cards:
130 basic Treasure cards
60 Copper cards
40 Silver cards
30 Gold cards
48 basic Victory cards
24 Estate cards
12 Duchy cards
12 Province cards
258 Kingdom cards
10 each of Baron, Bridge, Conspirator, Coppersmith, Courtyard, Ironworks, Masquerade, Mining Village, Minion, Pawn, Saboteur, Scout, Secret Chamber, Shanty Town, Steward, Swindler, Torturer, Trading Post, Tribute, Upgrade, Wishing Well
12 each of Duke, Great Hall, Harem, Nobles
30 Curse cards
26 Randomizer cards (one of each Kingdom card and one blank)
7 blank cards (to create your own Kingdom card)
1 Trash pile card(used to mark the Trash pile)

Card breakdown:

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970380

The Kingdom cards can act like:

Victory cards(included with the basic victory cards and curse):

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970128

Treasure cards(included with the basic treasure cards):

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970126

Action cards:

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970120

Reaction card:

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/969659

Theme

Most people agree the theme is pasted on, but some people do like the theme. For example when I start explaining the game I go like 'these are the money, these are VP etc' and then my girlfriend stops me and starts to explain that the deck represents a dominion, and that your dominion starts poor and that you build your kingdom stone by stone and get lots of gold and people and then you gain the victory.

Gameplay

Setup

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970125

The piles of basic treasure cards, basic victory cards and the curse cards are put in the middle of the table. 10 piles of Kingdom cards are added (these are selected randomly with the randomizer cards or are selected by the players)
Each player receives 7 Copper cards and 3 Estate cards and places them face down in his playing area to form his deck. Each player draws 5 cards from his deck

Turn Overview

There are 3 phases to each turn:
-Action phase
-Buy phase
-Clean-up phase

Action phase

The player may play one(and only one) action from his hand and follows the instructions written on it.
Some of the most common terms used on the Action cards are:
+X Actions - the player may play additional Action cards from his hand
+X Cards - the player draws X cards from his deck
+Coin X - the player has X additional coins to spend in the Buy phase
+1 Buy - the player may buy one additional card in the Buy phase
Discard - the player discards cards from his hand to his discard pile
Trash - the player trashes a card, places it on the trash pile, not his discard pile

Some action cards are Attack cards, these are cards that affect the other players. In response to an attack, a player can play a reaction card immediately (out of turn)

Buy phase

The player may gain one(and only one) card from the supply by paying its cost. To do so he adds up all the coin values on his treasure cards and the coin values gained in the action phase. He may buy more than 1 card only if he gained the ability in the action phase

Clean-up phase

All cards played and bought this turn should go in the discard pile and then the player draws a new hand of 5 cards

Game end

The game ends at the end of any player's turn when
-the supply pile of Province cards is empty
-3 supply piles are empty

Players count their victory points (VP), the player with the most VP wins

Sample turn

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970130

5+ players

If you have the first Dominion game, by combining the basic Treasure cards you can play the game with more than 4 players, although there will be a bit of downtime in that case

Strategy

Although the goal of the game is to have the most VP, the basic Victory cards are useless in a player's turn, they're basically one less card to play in the Action phase or Buy phase
So the basic strategy is to first acquire Treasure and Actions and then when the end game approaches buy the Victory cards.
The startup hand is weak, it contains 3 useless cards for the beginning of the game and 7 Copper, a currency that doesn't buy you much.
As you buy more and more better cards one strategy involves thinning the deck, trashing the not-so-good cards so that the frequency with which the better cards appear in your hand increases.
Action cards are good, they give you better rewards in general than the treasure cards but the problem is that if you have 2 or more action cards in hand, you can only play one of them.
So if you want to play with more actions you will have to buy cards that give you +Actions, with them you can create some nice combos where you play multiple Action cards in a row, drawing cards, gaining +Coins and +Buys all in the same turn

To sum up:
-in the beginning buy Action cards and Treasure cards; later buy the Victory cards
-the beginning of the game is the best time to trash some of the starting cards, whenever possible
-don't buy too many actions without +Actions and try to buy cards that work well together towards obtaining a lot of coins in a turn

Conclusions

Pros

-very easy to learn: I've played the game with several people who were new to boardgames and they've picked up immediately not only the rules but the strategy aswel

-easy to setup: the cards are already divided in the insert, all it takes is 2-3 minutes and you're good to go

-good replayability: there are 25 kingdom cards, you only select 10 per game, there's a lot of combinations

-feels like another game: depending on the combinations the game changes a lot, you can have a multiplayer solitaire when there are no Attack cards in play and everyone is maximising their kingdom or you can have a very cutthroat game with lots of attack cards where every turn people get curses in hand or trash good cards

-scales well: very enjoyable with any number of players

-quick play time: once you know the cards you can play a game in 15 minutes, and it doesn't get boring when playing multiple games in a row

-lots of very good expansions: if and when you get bored of the kingdoms, no problem, you can get an expansion and the game will feel very different

Cons

-the theme: I explained earlier that some people like the theme but most just think about the coins and victory points without thinking that they're building a kingdom

-lots of shuffling: I don't find this to be too bad as it gives you an excellent opportunity to talk to the other players during this time. But there's a LOT of shuffling in this game and most people chose to sleeve their cards for this reason

from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/970349

Since I bought this game I've bought many other boardgames but it still remains my #1 game, I love to play it with my girlfriend and I love to play it when I have people over.
Although I didn't try Dominion, from what I've read about the game, for new players I'd recommend starting with this one

nuk3r

Re: Dominion Intrigue - My first review of my first boardgame

16 Apr 2011, 19:35

Frumos review, dar sunt dezamagit de un singur lucru.. nicio referire la sah?
Last edited by nuk3r on 16 Apr 2011, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

Rautz

16 Apr 2011, 19:45

Imi faci tu reclama suficient, nu mai am nevoie:
nuk3r wrote: Mai este cineva care nu stie ca Bahaus a fost/este jucator profesionist de sah?
nuk3r wrote: Nici eu nu as juca sah cu piesele sleevuite
nuk3r wrote: daca nu joci sah profesionist e tot deageaba
nuk3r wrote: nicio referite la sah?

Chuckila
King Meeple
King Meeple

16 Apr 2011, 22:16

nuk3r wrote:Frumos review, dar sunt dezamagit de un singur lucru.. nicio referite la sah?
Nuk3r, cred ca e deajuns. Am inteles toti ca iubesti flamingul, nu e nevoie sa o areti in fiecare post.

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple
Custom Rank: Going Cardboard

17 Apr 2011, 12:52

Bahaus, s-ar putea sa ma insele memoria, dar primul tau joc nu a fost Runewars?

Despre ce concurs e vorba pe BGG?

Rautz

17 Apr 2011, 13:29

Da, teoretic primul joc a fost Runewars, sau daca vrem sa fim si mai exacti probabil primul joc a fost sahul :)
Dar e primul joc din toata seria care m-a determinat sa intru in lumea asta

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple
Custom Rank: Going Cardboard

17 Apr 2011, 16:36

djdano wrote: Despre ce concurs e vorba pe BGG?
Poate mai sunt doritori pe aici, concursul e asta si se termina foarte curand, asa ca grabiti-va!

Rautz

17 Apr 2011, 18:48

Oops scuze ca am ratat intrebarea ta djdano

Return to “Review-uri si impresii”