Going Cardboard - documentar despre boardgames

Ati descoperit un proiect interesant pe Kickstarter? Deschideti un topic si poate gasiti si alti useri interesati de joc.
tasurinchi
King Meeple
King Meeple

Going Cardboard - documentar despre boardgames

21 Mar 2011, 17:51

Dupa cum probabil ca unii dintre voi stiti deja, Lorien Green lucreaza de ceva timp la un documentar despre boardgames, numit Going Cardboard.

Mai multe detalii puteti gasi aici -> http://www.boardgamemovie.com/
si in prezentarea interactiva de aici -> http://apps.hustream.com/going_cardboar ... _overview/ (recomand Chrome sau Firefox pentru aceasta din urma, in IE nu functioneaza foarte bine)

Exista deja doua teasere:

Filmul a ajuns in faza de post-productie (editare, montaj, efecte speciale etc) si, pentru ca mai avea nevoie de cateva mii de dolari pentru a angaja un editor profesionist si pentru a produce DVD-ul, Lorien Green a creat un proiect pe Kickstarter pentru a strange fonduri -> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/Lor ... umentary-0
Suma necesara a fost depasita cu peste 100% in doar cateva zile! Inca un semn al extraordinarei solidaritati din lumea boardgames! :tu:

In caz ca vreti sa sprijiniti proiectul, acesta este in continuare deschis pana pe 23 aprilie, iar cei care contribuie vor primi diverse beneficii in functie de suma (spre exemplu, pentru 30 $ veti fi mentionat la credite la final si veti primi DVD-ul in care va fi inclus, din cate am inteles, si un joc nou nout de Reiner Knizia :D )

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple
Custom Rank: Going Cardboard

Re: Going Cardboard - documentar despre boardgames

21 Mar 2011, 19:19

I am now an official backer of Going Cardboard - A Board Game Documentary. :)

tasurinchi
King Meeple
King Meeple

21 Mar 2011, 22:12

Cateva lucrurui despre Lorien Green + un min-interviu:

http://boardgames.about.com/od/news/a/g ... d_film.htm

Cel mai recent interviu:

http://www.criticalgamers.com/archives/ ... ws_lor.php

Blogul filmului:

http://boardgamedoc.blogspot.com/

cristianf
King Meeple
King Meeple

22 Mar 2011, 20:23

Ce pacat ca nu accepta paypal. Am reusit s-o conving si pe EA :D ce-i drept cu promisiunea joculetului surpriza a lui nenea Knizia, si am ramas cu buza umflata. Sper sa nu fie un blockbuster ;)

@djdano sa ne spui si noua ce joc primesti

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

22 Mar 2011, 20:28

cristianf wrote:Ce pacat ca nu accepta paypal. Am reusit s-o conving si pe EA :D ce-i drept cu promisiunea joculetului surpriza a lui nenea Knizia, si am ramas cu buza umflata. Sper sa nu fie un blockbuster ;)

@djdano sa ne spui si noua ce joc primesti
Poti sa-ti faci un cont pe Amazon de care sa legi un card de debit in RON si apoi vei putea face plata direct prin Amazon. ;)

Nu cred ca jocul lui Knizia va fi ceva mare si voluminos, ma astept cel mult la ceva gen Battle Line sau poate ceva mai de la coada topului cum ar fi Gem Dealer sau Scarab Lords.
Dar imi place ideea de a fi implicat intr-un asemenea proiect si de a-mi vedea numele la finalul filmului - priceless. :)

nuk3r

22 Mar 2011, 23:07

Implicat ... sau sponsor?

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

22 Mar 2011, 23:36

"An official backer", cum zicea site-ul dupa ce m-am inregistrat. :)

Implicat, da. Contributor. Suport financiar. Donator. Fan. "Sponsor" nu-mi place cum suna, s-a denaturat sensul in timp utilizandu-l in diverse contexte mai mult sau mai putin interlope.

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

27 Apr 2011, 10:41

THANK YOU, Going Cardboard Backers! We've hit the funding goal! With just a smidge to spare. ;) Donations above and beyond are welcome of course, and will be put to good use both for film costs and for extra niceties for our backers. Keep spreading the good word!

STATUS Post-production is nearing completion on this film. I have over 60 hours of footage shot in full HD. An animator (Kerry Hutton) and musical composer (Tony Longworth) are on board. Your contributions will allow me to enlist a professional editor for the final editing work, and will help make production of the DVD possible.
Any day now... :)

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

13 May 2011, 00:13

Things are moving very rapidly at the moment, but I know an update is overdue, so let me give you some quick hits!
- Backer rewards. I'm about to put in the big game order for the autographing rewards. The system of having people pick a few preferred designers/games worked like a charm, and it is a lot of fun playing Santa Claus for this. :) The design for the coasters is ready to go also. And the success of the Kickstarter has meant that the board game that comes with the DVD has gotten some extra love.
- Yesterday I finalized an agreement with GameSalute for distribution of the film, both online and to board game stores within their large nationwide network. You'll be able to buy the movie directly from my site (if you aren't a backer or need more copies for friends and loved ones, that is) but if you want to, say, grab a copy of Ticket to Ride at the same time, then GameSalute are going to be your guys!
- Editor is editing the film.
- DVD cover design is almost done. I need to write the copy for the back of it.
- Transcription in progress. Once that's in hand, translation into multiple languages can happen for the subtitles.
- Oh, and we're screening at PAX Prime in Seattle, and in Aukland, New Zealand at the Board Games by the Bay convention, as well as CharCon, and TotalCon next year. I'll have to create some kind of "World Tour" list of screening venues, will do that as soon as I get a chance! There are definitely more in the works.
It is a LOT to keep track of, but the excitement factor makes up for it. I think I just need to do another all-nighter... JUST BECAUSE! :)
More updates to come.

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

08 Jun 2011, 09:25

Sper ca asta e ultimul update primit pe mail... si urmatorul va fi pachetul cu DVD + joc. :)
Hey all!
Bout time for an update, wouldn't you say? :)
The coasters arrived today, and they look great. Most of the board games have also shipped out to their respective designers for autographing.
As you know, the DVD comes with Reiner Knizia's Shoot-Out. I'm also pleased to announce that all DVDs will come with the components for Shoot-Out, rather than having to pillage them from some other game or buy them separately.
Other developments... The DVD inside and outside cover are in final draft stage, I don't expect to make any more changes to those, so they are just about ready to print. The movie itself is still undergoing polish. I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far on that, and I'll keep you posted on an ETA as one becomes clearer.
Those are the big updates for now. I'll add pictures when I can, keep an eye on the blog at boardgamedoc.blogspot.com and the Facebook group, http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_46660673908.

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

29 Jun 2011, 01:31

Inca un update de la domnitza Lorien:
Hope everyone is enjoying their new-found summer! Just a quick update on things...
- The subtitle translations for German and Spanish have been completed. There are a couple others being worked on.
- Editing continues. I've seen some of the updated footage, and it looks GREAT! However, it's looking like the film will not be ready in time for PAX Prime. I'll keep everyone posted!
- The art for the DVD cover, board game insert, and the DVD disc itself are DONE, baby! Attached to this update is a mockup of what the box will look like. It should be pretty close to reality.
Most of the autographing is complete for the backer rewards. So what's left? Once the editing is done, there's that whole process of building the DVD menu and mastering the DVD. I'm both excited and fearful about that, as I think it represents the largest remaining hurdle/learning curve to getting this thing out.
Until next time, friends!
- Lorien

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

11 Aug 2011, 16:25

Un nou update la proiect, filmul va fi gata foarte curand. De-abia astept!
It’s on like Donkey Kong! Here’s the latest for you all on everything Going Cardboard.

First, I recently checked in with the Ninja vs. Pirate podcast to discuss board gaming and the film. You can check that out here:

http://ninjavspirates.libsyn.com/nv-p-6 ... rien-green

In the past month, the final proof for the DVD packaging (with Shoot-Out board game insert) arrived, and it looks fantastic. Not to be out-done, the proofs for the components to the game arrived a few days later. Did I mention that the DVD comes with bits for the game? There are bullet counters, a D-20, two little cowboy meeples, and the cards you need to play, illustrated by the talented Mr. Rick Schmitz.

The first box of autographed board games is here, too. And the coasters, of course, which come in two designs created by my animator, Kerry Hutton.

This week I’m looking into the right shipping boxes to buy, for both the different Kickstarter tiers, and the regular retail shipping of the DVD.Editing is progressing on the film as well, of course.

Among other things, I’ve been working with my editor to select additional music for the soundtrack. I can’t be sure how long before I‘m actually holding the finished DVD in hand, but the many parts of this machine are falling into place to support that goal.

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

26 Sep 2011, 19:45

Greetings, true believers,
September's flying by. I've been having discussions with Jason Scott, the editor of Going Cardboard, and a LOT of progress is being made on rejiggering the story arcs and smoothing rough edges. There was one interview I filmed where the light was too low, for example, and in the latest version that same clip is leaps and bounds better-looking. In some ways that might not seem like a big deal (the actual bit of that interview being used is mere seconds), but the cumulative effect of fixes like that is huge.
So while Jason's working his magic on the main timeline, I'm about to start rendering out the bonus sequences, and *gasp* making an actual trailer for the movie.
I know I say this every time, but we ARE getting closer to the finish line here, guys. And in light of that, just a reminder that if anyone has moved since I sent out the initial address collection survey, please throw me a message here with your new shipping information so I can update it.
Incidentally, once this project is done, Jason's going to be creating three new documentaries of his own. I highly recommend you check out his current Kickstarter and consider participating:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tex ... three-pack
In other news, National Gaming Day for libraries is 11/12/11... check with your local library to see what they're doing:
http://ngd.ala.org/category/2011-national-gaming-day/
If your local library isn't signed up yet... talk to them about it, or even better, offer to help them participate. There's still time, and grassroots is absolutely how designer gaming ROLLS.
More information coming soon. Have a great week!
- Lorien

suf
King Meeple
King Meeple

26 Sep 2011, 22:20

Nais!

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

10 Oct 2011, 12:17

Happy Sunday, everyone.
It's been a busy weekend, and it promises to continue on the Going Cardboard front.
First, there's this little thing about a new trailer... you can read about the making of that on the blog:
http://boardgamedoc.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... ailer.html

Second, there's the fact that the DVD is up for pre-order at GameSalute.com (just in case you have any friends who missed the Kickstarter):
http://shop.gamesalute.com/ProductDetai ... Dcardboard
All copies of the DVD (not just Kickstarter copies) will come with the physical components for Reiner Knizia's Shoot-Out.

And third, what's up for the remainder of the weekend is prep work on the subtitles, and on the bonus sequences.
Hope you enjoy the trailer, and that it helps get you as excited as I am right now about things. As I like to say, we're rocking it like the Stray Cats!

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

07 Nov 2011, 00:05

So here we are back again for your monthly update on the Going Cardboard documentary. I'm typing this on my phone, because if i were at the computer... I'd be working! :)

It's been crazy. Friday before last, I had 10 people come over for a test screening of the film. I was nervous! This was a group with a nice variety of levels of experience with board games (including one person with NO experience). I took notes on my own impressions while watching THEM as inconspicuously as I could. I didn't see any dead giveaways of boredom; no foot tapping or yawning. They were engaged throughout, laughing in the right places and applauding at the end. Once it was over, we had a group discussion for about half an hour, and they each left a notepad with thoughts and comments.

So that was awesome and majorly motivating! The next day I started implementing their feedback and finishing more stuff up. And the project was all booted up and ready to go for a late-night session... when the power went out. For FOUR DAYS. I can't complain too much, some of my co-workers were down for almost a week from the freak October snowstorm that hit us here in New England. But it was frustrating, and bad timing for a delay. The night the lights came on again (last Wednesday), I wasted no time getting back to work.

Last night was the second all-nighter this week (tonight will be the third). Coincidentally, I was doing the same thing LAST fall daylight savings night. I've never done three in one week, but this is the home stretch, so here we go!

Last night I added in all the Kickstarter and creative commons credits. I also completely changed the look and feel of the end credits sequence and I'm loving how it looks now. Today I'm working on the DVD menu. There are around 30 bonus clips I've organized into three major categories: Industry, Community, and Miscellaneous. I've selected background image candidates for that, and assigned a preliminary set to the 5 menu screens.

Next it's on to rendering bonus clips. I can't give you a set ETA till some remaining tasks (like adding 4 sets of subtitles) are done, but the to-do list is indeed dwindling.

More news as I have it. Stay tuned!

- Lorien

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

07 Jan 2012, 18:43

Happy New Year!
Almost done! Just wanted to take a minute to let you all know I have the opposite of forgotten about you. December was one of the hardest months I've put in on this thing. December and January up to now has been, no wait, let you guess... subtitle work. This past Thursday night, I finished the subtitles for the feature film.

Today and tomorrow will be focused on completing the English subtitles for the bonus clips. That WILL be done by the close of this weekend. And then comes the final step, building the DVD.
Then the DVD goes off to the printer for a little over a week, and then fulfillment begins in every sense of the word. :)

Once the product is in-hand, and Kickstarter promises have been delivered, the marketing phase begins in ernest. I will immediately turn around and post a schedule of screening events. If any of you know of local events, or venues that would make for a good screening, drop me a note.

I also recently did an interview with GeekPapas, a really great podcast you can listen to here (it seems to like Firefox more than IE at the moment):
http://geekpapas.com/podcast/episode-10-lorien-green/

Final word on subtitles: it was a long and tedious process, much more time-consuming than I would have guessed, but in the end, this is a pretty badass result:

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

30 Jan 2012, 20:25

This morning I sent the DVD master off to the production facility. The editing and DVD menuing are DONE. :) They'll create a proof copy, throw that back at me, and if it's good to go, they start printing.
Boxes have arrived for backer rewards, so I'll be preparing those packages while I wait for the proof copy of the DVD to come back for final testing. That way, when the actual DVDs arrive, it'll just be a matter of lovingly tucking them into the boxes, sealing those up, and off to the post office.
So NOW, backers... IF YOU HAVE MOVED SINCE FUNDING THIS KICKSTARTER... please send me an updated address. If you think you may have already updated your address but aren't sure, go ahead and message me. If you just want to verify I have the correct address, go ahead and message me. I'd rather be triple-checked and safe than send a backer reward to the wrong address.
If you know of a local convention that might be interested in screening the film, let me know. You can see the current list of confirmed screenings at http://boardgamedoc.blogspot.com.
I could not have gotten to this point without your help. Thanks, everyone, and have a great week! The end draws nigh.

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

10 Feb 2012, 10:20

Fimlul a primit un entry pe imdb si distributia lui catre suporterii Kickstarter va incepe in aproximativ 2 saptamani.
Deci pe la jumatatea lui martie ar trebui sa ajunga.
Numar zilele... :(

DanielIndru
King Meeple
King Meeple

07 Mar 2012, 17:23

Gata, a ajuns, am DVD-ul in mana. :ugeek:
O sa il vizionez de 17 ori in urmatoarele zile si apoi scriu si pe site despre asta.
E primul proiect Kickstarter la care am participat si primul de aici de pe forum care se finalizeaza cu rezultatul/jocul in mana.

Urmatoarele pe lista, poate chiar in ordinea asta: Glory to Rome, D-Day Dice (la care a participat Chuckila), Exile Sun.

Return to “Kickstarter”